Education Program Coordinator
The Gwa’sala-‘Nakwaxda’xw Nations have a young population, with the majority of Band members under the age of 25. This means that, while school enrolment is declining in many other rural areas and small communities, the number of Gwa’sala-‘Nakwaxda’xw students just keeps growing. In order for our young people to become happy, healthy individuals, it is important that they are well educated.
- Preparing purchase orders for school supplies for students (living on reserve) attending Eagle View, Avalon, Eke Me-Xi, and Port Hardy Secondary school at the beginning of the year.
- Second semester purchase orders for students attending Port Hardy Secondary and Eke Me-Xi are done near the end of January.
- Providing attendance allowances for Grade 8-12 students (living on reserve) every two months.
- Coordinating financial aid for students (living on reserve) as needed (school field trips, graduation assistance).
- Preparing Nominal Roll for students attending schools off reserve.
- Attending monthly meetings at Port Hardy Secondary school in regards to student progress.
- Gathering and processing student applications for Post-Secondary Funding.
- Coordinating payment of tuition, books & supplies, and living allowances for sponsored students.
- Preparing the Post Secondary Student Registry – this is a report to INAC on all sponsored students.
- The Gwa’sala-‘Nakwaxda’xw School (Pre-school to Grade 7)
- The Eke Me-Xi program (a.k.a. Young Adult Secondary Program, Grades 8-10) – see below
- The Gwa’sala-‘Nakwaxda’xw College
Grace SmithPhone: (250) 902-2320 Fax: (250) 949-7402